October 17, 2013

Blog Action Day

Blog Action Day 
Human Rights
                                                                       Challenge 5
According to the document of Article 19 of the The Convention on the Rights of the Child I found that one of the children's rights is that all children under the age of 18 are supposed to are to be protected from neglect and abuse. This topic really caught my eye because I never knew us children every had this right. Which brings me to the topic of news. On the news you hear about different cases about children being abuse and neglected to the point that they are no longer alive.

 On Monday, September 16, 2013 a 22 year old man by the name of Daquon Gomillion was charged with four counts of first-degree assault and four counts of risk of injury to a child. The 5-year-old boy had many scars on both legs, his back, and chest, and part of one of his ears was missing. His lip had been split. When you hear about children being neglected and abused it makes you feel horrible. I could not find any images, and I really couldn't see myself putting one because it is a very dreadful.

One of the children's rights is to be protected from neglect and abuse. I think in this case that law was broken, because this would have never happened if the little 5 year old boy was being protected. I don't believe that he was. Then again the 22 year old man was arrested for abuse and the bond is $250,000. For what he did I think that he should be sentenced for life, and he tried to gain custody of the child. Which I believe he has no right to have a child after what he has done to the boy.

1 comment:

  1. Great post Breana, and congratulations on participating in Blog Action Day. You have some great facts about rights of the child. It would be useful to include links to the source of your information, in case your readers want to learn more.
    You can find out more about linking in this post from the Student Blogging Challenge https://support.google.com/blogger/answer/41379?hl=en.
    I look forward to reading your next post. Keep blogging,
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete